Saturday, December 26, 2009

Recycle Those Holiday Cards

Green Holiday Action #26

Holiday cards come in such a beautiful array of colors and themes. When the season is over repurpose those beautiful scenes and sentiments. Here's a wonderful suggestion from my friend Kim:

I always enjoy seeing green suggestions around the holidays. I don't think this actually started as a "green" idea, but something I've been doing since I was a kid is making gift tags out of last year's holiday cards. I tear off the fronts and fold them to make little tags with designs from the card's artwork. I don't do anything particularly fancy with them, but I usually get some comments about it being creative. I think my parents were just trying to save money by not buying gift tags, but now I think of it as a green tradition. And I don't have to feel bad about tossing away a stack of Christmas cards that people have sent me. - Kim

I been doing this for years myself. Sometimes a beautiful tag made from a holiday card can become the focus of a gift's wrapping. You can fold them, cut them into shapes, or just use parts of a card's decoration that you like the best.

Have you noticed that there is an added benefit to getting multiple use out of resources? It saves financial resources as well.

No comments: